SAGES is the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. They are an education and research nonprofit organization, aiming to improve patient care in gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgery. The organization has an education and research foundation, funded by donations, that sponsors grant programs for the advancement of minimal access surgical methods.
Since hernia repairs are typically minimally invasive surgeries, hernia patients can browse the SAGES website for assistance. Under “For Patients” they can find a SAGES member surgeon to perform a hernia repair by using the “FInd a Surgeon” search feature. The website also includes a library of informational brochures for minimally invasive hernia surgeries including:
- Ventral Hernia Repair Surgery Patient Information
- Inguinal Hernia Repair Surgery Patient Information from SAGES
Lastly, patients can read through the frequently asked questions section for answers to their hernia-related concerns.
The “Education” section on the SAGES website offers educational resources for surgeons and surgical trainees. Here, visitors can browse the SAGES video library, images library, and watch videos for safe procedures conducted in and around the operating room. Other educational resources include:
- SAGES Quality Initiative where Medicare is changing the payment of providers based on quality of care rather than quantity of care
- SMART Enhanced Recovery Program for improving recovery for patients after minimally invasive surgeries
- SAGES Masters program with educational materials offered from annual meetings or online
Virtual Hernia Clinic
The Virtual Hernia Clinic is another program within the SAGES Education section. Virtual patient simulation helps improve patient care through fundamental knowledge, decision-making, and management strategies. The clinic is available to view free of charge to all registered users. There is a $75 fee if individuals wish to participate in the simulation and receive CME (Continuing Medical Education) or MOC (Maintenance of Certification) credits.